Christin M. Godale. PhD Candidate in the University of Cincinnati's Neuroscience Graduate Program, at computer.

MTAs / CDAs / DUAs

What to do with your agreement?

Please send your agreement or agreement request to our office via

Please share the following minimal information in the email request:

  • UC Principal investigator (or UC contact person)
  • Name of company (if we are being asked to draft the agreement – the company’s address or a place to get their address)
  • If a CDA – Topic of discussion/technology
  • If a MTA – Materials being shared
  • If a DUA – general description of the data and title of the project
  • Contact at the company to send any requests related to the agreement
  • Any other people that should be copied on the conversation

If you have any questions or concerns about the agreement, please free to contact our office at:

Agreement Types

Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs)

These are used for incoming and outgoing materials.  These agreements describe the terms under which our researchers and outside researchers may share materials, typically for research or evaluation purposes.   

Two template agreements that UC uses for the transfer of human materials and related data can be found here:

Reciprocal Human Material and Data Agreement 

One-way Human Material and Data Agreement 

Confidential Disclosure Agreements (CDAs)/Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs)

These are often used to protect the confidentiality of an invention during evaluation by potential licensees. CDAs also protect proprietary information of third parties that researchers need to review in order to conduct research or evaluate research opportunities.

Data Use Agreements (DUAs)/Data Sharing Agreements (DSAs)

These are used to transfer data that has been developed by universities, government, non-profits or private industry, in a confidential manner, usually with restrictions. They clarify and establish the activity between institutions that governs the transfer of one or more data sets from the owner/provider to a third party. Organizations involved in the data sharing also have the potential to form a license between the two parties.

For more information about Data Use Agreements please see the Office of Research page: