The Ohio IP Promise
The Ohio Lieutenant Governor and the Inter-University Council of Ohio (IUC) have worked with the technology transfer offices across the state to establish a best-in-class approach for the licensing of intellectual property (IP) developed by Ohio’s 14 public universities.
Based on six guiding principles, this new approach will help to strengthen Ohio’s economy, attract innovative researchers, and serve as a magnet for investors and entrepreneurs:
- Flexibility: provide industry choices for accessing intellectual property developed through sponsored research
- Transparency: publish template sponsored research and license agreements
- Simplicity: deliver fair and streamlined guidelines for faculty creator startups
- Clarity: communicate licensing processes on university websites in a clear, prominent way
- Ease: provide well-defined university entry points for industry, investors, and entrepreneurs
- Speed: reduce impediments that hinder the pace of transactions
This initiative fosters a climate where innovation thrives through partnerships among universities, researchers, entrepreneurs, investors and industry. With improved collaboration, high-impact discoveries made at Ohio universities will go to market more quickly, boosting Ohio’s economy and improving its residents’ lives with new products and services.
UC’s Office of Innovation is committed to streamlining our processes, driving transparency, reducing friction, and increasing speed to support the commercialization of Ohio innovations. As part of our commitment to the Ohio IP Promise, please find our licensing documents and terms below.
Industry Research Tiers: for industry looking to collaborate on sponsored research, we have developed these potential IP terms:
Tier 1: Non-Exclusive Royalty Free License (NERF)
Tier 2: Exclusive License with Pre-Set Royalty
Tier 3: Ownership Assigned to Sponsor
Express License/Option: for faculty and entrepreneurs looking to collaborate on a start-up based on UC-owned IP, we have developed these terms and agreements for recent graduates of our Venture Lab.
Express Option Agreement: first right of refusal to align UC’s interests with the start-up team and fix licensing terms for when the start-up is ready to launch.
Express License Agreement: terms that the university is prepared to sign for any technology having graduated from the Venture Lab.